Tuesday 17 April 2012

“Some people are settling down, some people are settling and some people refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies.”


Delving into the gossip and news of my Facebook wall this morning, while I sipped my vanilla latte, I was not surprised to see that my home country had made the news again, for something far from the 1995 Rugby World Cup Mandela story. Zuma had made the headlines because of his upcoming nuptials to his 6th wife. (Zuma News Story) Polygyny in South Africa is legal and very much part of the Zulu culture, where it has been used to create political alliances and reinforce the perception of power for a tribe’s leader throughout history. It got me thinking, even though polygyny is not a common practice in western cultures, its concept is not completely unfamiliar.

I was on Skype the other day with a few of my girlfriends from around the globe and as always we were discussing our male counterparts with much gusto. I was surprised to uncover something from our discussions.  A common practice that which men have only partaken in in the past seems to be fast becoming the norm for the modern woman. It seems that the era where only men fraternize with multiple partners and eschew the mundanity of a girlfriend or wife for as long as possible has come to an end. Due to the increasing number of empowered women and lessening of the suitable gentlemen or ideal partner, women are engaging in the same dating tactics that men have been renown for throughout history.

Women have been expected to be vigilant of their virtue and maintain the sexual morality of a nun in times past. Not something I completely disagree with in this day and age where pregnancies, STDs and even riskier illnesses are so rife amongst the young. However, it led to a limited frame of mind when it came to the dating scene where women only reserved themselves for one gentleman to see where that romance led before putting their heart back together and trying again with the next suitor. Men had the benefit of society not looking upon them with a condemning eye if they were to ‘sew their seed’. Rather it was advantageous for them as they were seen as a ‘stud’ to bed so many ‘lucky’ ladies.

So, post discussions with my friends, I took it upon myself to investigate this new approach by women. I was very pleasantly surprised to hear from quite a few ladies that they are of the same mindset. Traditionalist thinking where women only date one person at a time and go through the rigmarole of “courting” has flown the coop and we are left with an even playing field amongst the sexes. It’s now not unusual for women these days to have 3 or 4 dates a week, maybe even two in one day.

I find the thought that women are not waiting to be asked out on a date but proactively going out and making it happen for themselves liberating. Why the hell not. I have been of the same mind for quite some time and only recently since coming to Sydney have felt that it wasn’t tabooed to do so. I think men are luckier for it, not as much pressure from the girl for something to happen after every date and just the general attitude that men can just get to know someone over dinner and have some fun without the thought that women are thinking the may be the next long term boyfriend. 


So… happy dating all, and ladies, good on ya Sheilas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts, stories and general feedback...